Hours: Full-time, flexible working (home & office), 1 year contract
Deadline to apply: Friday 23 September 2022
Makan is a Palestinian-led educational organisation that strengthens voices for Palestinian rights. We contribute to transforming the existing narrative on Palestine/Israel to one that upholds freedom, justice and equality for all. We do this by delivering educational programmes and training on Palestine and intersecting struggles, building useful resources and tools for Palestine advocates, and connecting people and organisations active on the issue to one another.
We are looking for an experienced Programme and Communications Officer to help deliver Makan’s educational workshop series, help build an alumni network and support Makan’s communications. This is a new opportunity for someone with a demonstrated commitment to social justice and to freedom, justice and equality for Palestinians. The successful candidate will be a highly effective communicator, details-orientated, and self-motivated, with experience working in an educational setting and organising events.
- Provide administrative and logistic support for Makan’s Palestinian rights and intersectional workshops in coordination with the Programme Manager
- Co-facilitate workshops and tailored trainings
- Act as first point of contact for workshop participants, handling all communications with them before and after workshops
- Establish relationships with Makan’s alumni and develop avenues for engagement with Makan post workshops
- Support the delivery of Makan’s virtual talks programme and assist with subtitles for recordings
- Establish and coordinate an alumni working group
- Coordinate Makan’s weekly newsfeed and schedule programme emails in content calendar
- Liaise with the Communications team, provide relevant Programmes information and support social media posting
- Support the Programme Manager to build new relationships/partnerships with organisations
- Participate in speaking events on behalf of Makan
- Carry out other associated activities that may arise in line with the remit of the position.
- Support the mission, ethos and values of Makan
- Work collaboratively with others in all aspects of our work
- Represent and be an ambassador for Makan in connection with Makan’s programmes
- Maintain and enhance skills through continuous professional development
- Abide by Makan’s organisational policies, codes of conduct and practices
- Treat with confidentiality any personal, private or sensitive information about individuals, organisations or staff and Makan data.
Essential knowledge, skills and experience
- Knowledge of Palestinian issues and experience working in an educational setting
- Experience of organising events, lectures, trainings, workshops or conferences
- Knowledge of and demonstrated commitment to inclusive and interactive education
- Familiarity with a range of social media and strong understanding of social media best practices
- Experience of networking and building new partnerships
- Ability to take the initiative and a flexible approach
- Experience of group facilitation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to listen actively to and work with and support people from varying backgrounds
Desirable knowledge, skills and experience
- Knowledge/experience of student organising and social justice movements in Britain and Ireland
- Knowledge or experience of British politics, news or international affairs
- Understanding of decolonisation in the context of education
- Experience of working with Powerpoint, handling diverse sources of information, and maintaining accessible filing systems (e.g. Excel or CRMs)
- Arabic language skills
Please submit a cover letter and CV in English, along with two work related references. The cover letter should demonstrate your knowledge of Palestinian issues and experience working in an education setting, excellent communications skills, and your familiarity working with social media. All materials should be sent to [email protected], with ‘Makan Programme and Communications Officer’ in the subject line.
The deadline for submissions is Friday 23 September 2022.
Please note that applications missing any of the above documents/information will not be considered.