Makan is a Palestinian-led educational organisation that strengthens voices for Palestinian rights. We contribute to transforming the existing narrative on Palestine/Israel to one that upholds freedom, justice and equality for all. We do this by delivering educational programmes and training on Palestine and intersecting struggles, building useful resources and tools for Palestine advocates, and connecting people and organisations active on the issue to one another.
We are seeking a part-time communications intern to support Makan’s outward-facing communications, with an anticipated commitment of 16 hours per week for a period of six months. As Communications Intern, your assigned tasks will be guided by Makan’s Communications Manager and as a member of our Content team, you will also work closely with our Lead Researcher and Associate Researcher. Over the course of the internship, you will also have an opportunity to learn about and contribute to our outreach and communications strategy and to participate in our educational programmes.
Compensation: an honorarium of £3,600, paid in monthly instalments.
Location: London; flexible working (remote & in office)
Assigned tasks will include:
- Creating and sharing daily content on social media, ensuring growth of the audience and brand awareness
- Monitoring and responding to feedback, comments and social media posts
- Updating the social media content calendar with relevant dates and events
- Analysing the performance of social media posts and emails on a monthly basis
- Scheduling and sending weekly and monthly newsletters using our CRM system
- Editing our virtual talks recordings to be hosted on Vimeo
- Creating short video highlights from virtual talk recordings for sharing on social media
- Transcribing virtual talk recordings
- Spearheading relevant research for future communications-related programming
- Importing data from registration, application and feedback forms into Makan’s database
- Supporting Makan’s Communications Manager on any other communications or content-related tasks
- Support the mission, ethos and values of Makan
- Work collaboratively with others in all aspects of our work
- Abide by Makan’s organisational policies, codes of conduct and practices
- Treat with confidentiality any personal, private or sensitive information about individuals, organisations or staff and Makan data
- Strong understanding of social media best practices
- Familiarity with a range of social media management, monitoring and analytic tools
- Ability to work to deadlines, reacting quickly in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written communication skills
- Strong understanding of the Palestinian context
To apply: Please submit a cover letter and CV in English, along with two work related references. The cover letter should demonstrate your knowledge of social media, excellent written skills, and your understanding of the Palestinian context. All materials should be sent to [email protected], with ‘Makan Internship’ in the subject line.
The deadline for submissions is 8 April 2022.